Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gjoa Haven: February 25, 2011 to March 3, 2011

I went to Gjoa Haven on my own lugging a 70 lb hockey bag of court files, my suitcase and my back pack. To get there one leaves Iqaluit at 5:30pm and flies to Yellowknife, staying there overnight. The next day one catches a flight to Gjoa Haven with one stop at Taloyoak. It was absolutely freezing on the plane when it stopped. It was pretty cold even when it was flying. 








When I arrived at Gjoa Haven someone from the hotel picked me up. 
My room consisted of three single beds and on the last evening I did have a roommate. 
All my meals were eaten at the hotel. Defence counsel arrived on the Saturday too and we met about the files Saturday evening and Sunday evening with defence meeting their clients in between. 
I walked to the RCMP office and met the members. One officer gave me and my 70 lb bag of files a ride to the court house each day and helped out with the files.
 The hotel. Looks like an ice palace!!!!!


The RCMP detachment. 
Court was very busy. There were two defence counsel and me. Everyone was represented. The Judge, the court reporter, the clerk and interpreters flew in Sunday evening and left as soon as court ended on the Wednesday flying directly back to Iqaluit. Defence counsel and I spoke to a high school class the next day and I flew back to Yellowknife. Then I spent all day Friday flying to Iqaluit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment